Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sock Monkey Mania

http://www.etsy.com/listing/93872045/mediumlarge-super-girly-sock-monkey
A few months ago I noticed an interesting item in the cloth diapering community called sock monkey longies. If you don't know, Longies are just wool pants worn over a cloth diaper as a waterproof cover. I won't go into the how's and why's of that, and I'm sure you know what a sock monkey is. I could remember having one as a kid, and I was nostalgic about it. Even so, I wasn't sure how cute I thought these sock monkey pants were-- but here I am on the bandwagon. I guess I couldn't help myself because in the cloth diapering world or diapers, covers, soakers, and longies almost anything looks cute on a baby's backside. If sock monkeys are all the rage on t-shirts, pajamas, room decor, and school supplies, why not babies' babcksides?

My first protoype...cute or scary?
First, I had to figure out how to create the sock monkey mouth shape using short rows, which was surprising simple (after the first hilarious prototype, that is). Now I am happy with the shape I have created and am busy thinking of how many possible sock monkey variations there could be. I love my latest girly version done in shorties. I thought about adding a flower next to her ear, but that seemed over the top. Happily, as I finish one up, I have another order to get started on my needles.

Hopefully in the next few days or so I will be doing a giveaway here on my blog for a sock monkey hat in infant/toddler size. Maybe later on I will do one for some shorties.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the purple and green soaker. Very cute for spring.

    ReplyDelete